CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

5/26/2008

Seeing is Believing

Chicago Holiday Weekend! Happy Memorial Day everybody. Hope you're barbecuing or watching the I Love the 70's marathon or something else fun.

Friday night we went out to see Gayco's 10 year anniversary presentation of their first show, "Whitney Houston, We Have a Problem!" First of all I LOVE that title. It was fun seeing how Gayco has progressed in a decade, and I always love their shows. Fun times. Later, we went to a friend's birthday celebration at Hopleaf in Andersonville. Great bar! They have a pretty amazing selection of beer and a really friendly bartender. Duh, this is Chicago. Sadly, the rest of Andersonville seemed to be shut down completely, except for Simon's Tavern. I actually really liked Simon's but it was empty, and the birthday boy was looking for a party. So we ended up at Carol's Pub, as all good partiers should.

Saturday we went to see the White Sox (see them lose, but that's OK). Our generous friends have front row seats right behind the Sox dugout, and brought me and Disc0 along. It was a blast. We saw Ozzie Guillen get heckled, yell and curse right back, grumble around, get heckled again, win over his hecklers with a smile, and eventually get thrown out of the game. Classic. Then we went on over to Jimbo's Lounge, which is basically the antithesis of everything Wrigleyville. To my knowledge, it's the only bar within walking distance of Comiskey (I mean US Cellular Field, not that that's a lame name for a ballpark or anything), they play nothing but oldies during peak bar hours, the average age was late 30's rather than 21. It also displayed a bunch of those paintings in which many 50's icons are hanging out together in a diner, or on a fancy finned car. I liked it. Except for the most inappropriate 80's copy machine ad ever, which was also displayed proudly on Jimbo's wall. You'll just have to head to Chicago's south side to see it if you really want to know.

Sunday we went to see a law school friend perform in his weekly show at iO, 3033. This guy is also teaching us all about board games, btw. Watch for my logic and reasoning to improve drastically in the coming months. Anyway, the show was hilarious, as always. It's probably my favorite show at iO right now. Our buddy is one of the funniest people I've ever met or seen perform, and his team members are some of the best in the biz. Good times! I also made cupcakes from Amy Sedaris's Tattletail's Vanilla Cupcake recipe. That is a delicious recipe, and I take very little credit for how yummy the cakes were. Amy gets all the credit.
(I mean this, but I'm also saying it in case she reads this blog and wants to be friends).

2 comments:

Sara Ashes said...

Amy Sedaris is jumping out of a cake on the cover of this month's Bust magazine- yay!

tubesy said...

I know! I love her! It's a cute interview, too.