CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

5/17/2008

Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood


Disc0 and I are still committed to exploring Chicago, so that we have our favorite places all over the city. TBF, we're still limited in this exploration to north of the loop - southside is coming, though!

Today we took the Red Line up to Rogers Park. I've never been there even though one of my besties went to college up in them there parts. I love Rogers Park! Its a little bit funky, a little bit rock n' roll, a little artsy fartsy, and a lot more integrated than our neighborhood. I found my DREAM HOUSE up there on W. Jarvis, y'all. TBF, I find my dream house in every neighborhood. Last one was in Uptown.

We walked up Sheridan, right by the lake, to the Lake Side Cafe. It was like a smaller, sweeter version of the Chicago Diner. I love that Chicago has one vegan diner that's all "corporate" and "the man" against which the smaller, scrappier vegan diners have to fight.
Anyway, it was yummy and friendly and I had a delish chai tea with my quinoa salad. Disc0 had a vegan Chicago-style polish sausage. As he said, encased meats are often so processed anyway, at some point your enjoyment of the meal doesn't even depend on whether the stuff inside the casing is actually made of meat.

The plan was to walk down Sheridan to Loyola after lunch, but then it got really cold and windy so we just hopped down Howard to the el and went back home. I really like Rogers Park and want to spend more time exploring. There is gorgeous architecture all over the place.

There were tons of crazy/drunk Cubs fans on the el. They are so cute.

I'm trying now to decide what to make for dinner. This week I've done curried turkey burger sliders on tiny challah buns, cheese enchiladas on whole wheat tortillas, curried chicken salad, and pizza with caramelized onions. Common law housewifery!

2 comments:

Beck said...

I just got flooded with memories. Please, please, take the red line to morse and go to the Heartland Cafe on Lunt street. Totally hippie and totally awesome. Also, on Pratt, right next to the White Hen is the bar Oasis. It just has an old style sign out front. This is where I lived for 4 years and had dart league night. My first apartment was right there on Farwell.
And of course, THE best Indian food is on Devon.

tubesy said...

I will do this as soon as possible!

I guess I have been to Rogers Park before - I didn't know Devon was part of it. And I've had some damn good Indian food on Devon. Still not straight on all these neighborhoods.

Oasis is next on my list. I love places that just have an old style sign, as you know.