CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

6/17/2007

More Sunday Fun


I just saw an amazing show with J & A (the friends from yesterday's dinner and many other fun outings). It was a stand-up comedy show: the headliner was Eugene Mirman and there were also awesome sets by A.D. Miles who is probably my biggest crush from Wet Hot American Summer or is at least tied with Showalter and Chris Meloni (and Paul Rudd is not even in that equation because he is everyone's biggest crush in everything at all times including right now), and Leo Allen, who were traveling together, and a local comedian called Hannibal who was really funny as well. In my past experiences (read: in a major southern city that rhymes with Bratlanta) the local opening comedian was usually a total disaster, but this is the second Chicago show I've been to where the opening act was great. He was selling t-shirts that say "I kick pigeons" based on a very funny bit in his routine, even though he admitted that he doesn't kick pigeons. I didn't buy one because I also don't. But I told him I really enjoyed his act.

The first three guys are touring together. I experienced this show at the Lakeshore Theater, Chicago's "Venue for Edgy Comedy." The owner/manager/cool guy who introduced the show lives above the theater, told us they only books acts that they fucking love because it's basically their living room, and handed out "you know Dane Cook sucks" t-shirts to warm up the crowd. Ha ha, it's true, even though it's uncharacteristically uncharitable as a Chicagoan to point it out. Natch, it's an easy walk from my apartment. Is that refrain getting old? This city is ridiculous!

0 comments: