CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

6/13/2007

Lay Lee La Lor Luuu, Luke, I Am Your Father


So today is day whatever in Chicago without air conditioning. Somewhere in the 4 week range. It's a little rough, but you know what, it could be Florida and that would be much worse. Also, they promise to fix it before August (OK they promise to fix it by tomorrow but I am setting attainable goals right now) so when the hottest weather comes, we should be "cool."

To be honest, the weather has been downright balmy most of the time so far--it was still cool in mid/late May on arrival, and has warmed up to being in the 70's a lot of the time and the 80's sometimes. I like the weather here in the summer. I can't promise that I won't be crying in my giant hot chocolate when it's -20 (or, according to some rather histrionic reports from what I consider to be otherwise reliable sources, -80). We'll just see about that, but for now it's very nice, and I know the fall will be great too. Some cute retro patio furniture arrived today and I plan to be enjoying the outdoors from a sitting position very soon.

Last night we enjoyed some great Mexican food in the old neighborhood (from last summer) with a friend who is summering here--let's just call him Superman. Then Superman and I had some ice cream at Bobtail, a Chicago new-stitution. Legend had it that some Darden Business School students started it**; naturally this made me suspicious and I never went last summer. But it was pretty darn good. Windy City Sweets is still my favorite place ever, but I no longer snub Bobtail and if I am in need of ice cream and in the neighborhood, I will definitely go back. They have Merlot flavored ice cream if you are into that sort of thing (I don't think that I am).

**This legend was untrue. Apparently they went to the University of Chicago.

2 comments:

Beck said...

Once, while I lived in South Evanston in a vintage apartment in the corner of the building we had a heat wave. We had no air conditioning. If I were to simply stand up I would lose 10lbs of water. My clothes were drenched. It was a day and a half meditation on not moving a muscle.

All I have to say is, thank VOR it is June without AC and not August!

tubesy said...

OK that definitely beats my situation now. LAST summer when we had no AC in that 5th floor apartment, I had to write a paper during Memorial Day weekend's heat wave. I literally got down to skivvies and sat in front of a fan on the floor in misery, surrounded by printout of law review articles. Chicago heat waves are no joke, and I AM thanking VOR for her good timing on the no-AC business!