CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

7/18/2007

What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches...

Well I'm not doing anything that would make anyone excited about Chicago, because the bar is in something like 6 days (something like that). I know there are tons of people enjoying Chicago because they walk past my window in droves on their way to and from the Cubs games (they are playing 10 games in a row during the week and a half of bar hell. Thanks a lot dudes) and the bars on my street. But around these parts we are just studying an ungodly amount and looking at the internet for periodic procrastination breaks (see below). The monotony was also briefly interrupted when a movie location scout knocked on our door to tell us they'll be shooting a film down the street and they might need us to put on our lights at certain times (that's right: our condo windows and/or the light they provide may be starring backdrops in what is sure to be a cinematic classic, just like recent films about Chicago such as The Breakup and License to Wed. I'm slightly bitter about who decides to make movies about this town). Anyway, in the course of procrastinating here are some urgent and horrifying news stories I've come across.

A number of Young Republicans really ARE jerks who hate women and themselves

A review of Captivity that finally exhibits the proper amount of rage (FYI it's a little graphic in describing the terrible things this movie does to its characters but it was worth it to see a review so pissed off about this shitshow)

Almost everything documented in the Chicago Tribune is wretched at all times

ETA!!: I MEAN REALLY FOX, SERIOUSLY, DOES THE IDEA OF HILLARY CLINTON MAKE YOU WANT TO PEE YOUR PANTS SO BAD YOU HAD TO DO THIS?!

And finally:

I really don't know what to say about this. (Really don't know).

3 comments:

Beck said...

Just read the story on the folks that will be in charge of the world at the same time that we are trying exist and do right. I feel sick. And depressed.

Thanks VOR for the man that wrote the Captivity review.

The Obama thing is just strange. There are so many ways to analyze it. Of course there is the idea that sex will sell-- and the dissapointment that it is used to sell 'progressive' ideas just goes to show how fucking stuck we are. Sexism is sooooo incredibly deep. Beyond that, I'm interested in the technological media implications and wish there was a tracking device to see if it had impact.
And last, I feel often that I am the only person in the world who wants a president who is smarter than me. Luckily, all three Dems are sooooo much smarter than me it makes me giddy. After that, policy analysis, I think likeability and charisma are important. A dynamic leader can make a dynamic following--ya know? Exploiting Obama's charisma is not all that bothersome to me-- if there was a bit more meat to the policy argument.

You know what, scratch all that.

I don't know either.

Did you watch the unicorn movie?

Love

tubesy said...

Yeah, actually I don't mind using politician's charisma at all--I agree that it's really important. But I think it's ALL that many people care about, and I guess that's how it's always been. I mean some charisma IS a necessary characteristic in a world leader, to a certain extent. And from all I know I do like Obama a lot. I think what I don't like about the video is that it goes way beyond all that, and really encourages people to vote based on a crush. I really think it does. And if that helps the best candidate win, it's certainly better than low voter turnout--but it still doesn't quite sit right. I still feel like there are enough substantive issues that aren't above most voters' heads that we shouldn't be relying on this kind of bubble gum politics. Maybe that's just stupid of me! But I feel like charisma should be why people listen to a politicians, and not part of their platform, and especially not the most important part of their platform. And with Obama I definitely feel that the cult of Obama is more on his supporters and the media than it is on him and his campaign, so it doesn't really make me leery of him as a candidate, just kind of depressed about the general discourse.
Oh and I completely agree on wanting politicians who are smarter than me! I sure am excited about that.

Beck said...

Yup-- you are actually right. In a way I think it ties into the other rant on my blog. We are creating a culture without a conscience. What about the times we live in is culturally relevant to our people? Are people voting because the candidate is hot, or would be a good neighbor (like they said about W)? Are people voting on substantive policy issues? And how are we, the masses, able to get the policy issues when the news focuses on Paris Hilton's whatever and the TV shows new hits like Backlash island? Where and how to we get out of this cycle???

And I agree-- i think his campaign has risen about that discussion. I need to learn more about the strong woman behind that strong man. I bet she is amazing. Sadly, the news rarely covers amazing women. Just crazy ones. They can't diagnose us with hysteria anymore (e.g. no more free dildos) but they can still trap us.