CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

11/04/2007

Andersonville: Revisited

I know I've talked about Andersonville before, which is just a northbound hop, skip, and a busride from my hood. I love it because it evokes my Swedish and lesbian heritages, etcetera. But I've only really been there during festivals, of which Andersonville host many. So disc0 and I decided to take a little vacay and spend the afternoon there yesterday.

It was delightful.

We rediscovered the feminist bookstore Women & Children First, where I became immediately ashamed of the fact that I had just the day before ordered Alison Bechdel's memoir from Amazon.com. Am a moron?! Not only is there a great feminist bookstore not so far from me, but they have a website from which you can buy any book in print!! I will not let this happen again. The sales clerk was very kind when I had to admit the indiscretion (because I was buying another Alison Bechdel graphic novel--the one in which the bookstore at the center of the story line has to close because of online and big box bookstores!!--and she recommended the memoir).
Then we had delicious coffee at Sweet Occassions
, an adorable bakery/sandwich shop/coffee shop. It didn't even make me mad (very much) that they already had Christmas decorations up (wait until after Thanksgiving, dudes! WOW!) because they were so friendly and the coffee was so good. I'm more of an espresso drink gal when I have coffee at all, but when I ordered a latte they told me they were not allowed to make espresso drinks! Because there is a Starbucks in the same set of buildings, and so their lease says no espresso drinks! As evil corporations go, Starbucks generally gets pass from me, and in this case the Starbucks was there first...but damn, let the Mom n' Pops make their lattes! Sheesh. But as I said, their non-espresso coffee was fantastic, and the same can not be said for Starbucks.

Then this morning we went back and had a Viking Breakfast (well disc0 did, and I had Swedish pancakes with lingonberries). It was delicious and presh--you know I love a place where the sign says Valkommen or Vilkommen and they serve limpa bread...

1 comments:

Beck said...

My swedish heritage is aching right now. Luckily we are making hard tack over X-mas. And if Grandma were here she would have Floimylk-- or however you spell it. You know, the rotten stringy milk you eat with a fork.

Anyhow, on clark, near Women and Children First, which is the best bookstore ever is also a big psychic-y type store. WHAT is it CALLED? I can't remember. But it's where I saw my medical intuitive and she healed my ovaries. Just sayin'-- she rocks.