CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

1/18/2008

What the French Toast?!

So I will admit that I've gotten a little bit cocky about my ability to handle the ol' Midwestern Winter. You may remember my post on long johns a while back.

For the most part, the cold really hasn't bothered me. Often it comes with pretty snow showers. Long johns really do make the trip to and from the train quite managable, and furthermore I've always been a sci-fi, nerdy...indoor kid, so not being able to jog, or yog, whatever you outdoor types do, has not been a major impediment.

But the elevator TV (have you heard of these things? Captivate Networks? The name is horribly, unabashadly appropriate), which shows the weekend forecast, listed the high/low for this coming Saturday as "4/3." This is what I did when I saw the figure: (sorry-I really do love that scene).

Anyhoo, my point is that 4/3 is just not an appropriate amount of degrees. I'll let you know how it goes, because we have a dinner engagement on Saturday night. We may have to abandon our commitment to public transportation for the evening and take advantage of what we really paid for when we bought our condo--the garage. The Chicago Tribune had some scare tactic pictures of frostbitten appendanges on their website today and I am not trying to get in on that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember that anything in the + column is better than the - column and whatever you do, don't translate the temperature to Celcius. Love.

Beck said...

I love you so much. I'm laughing out loud right now as I can see you with that expression.

It's snowing here too! Again! It's wonderful and 31 degrees. Quite a bit warmer.

You take a 4/5 to town with the windchill and... oh dear... that is cold. Stay warm boodles!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I get 90% of my news from Captivate and it keeps me from having to talk to my coworkers in the elevator. My favorite "breaking news" was a headline last summer publishing the results from a Captivate survey:

"What would it take you for you to drive a hybrid or electric car?"

(a) Hybrids or electrics get cheaper.
(b) Gas gets more expensive.
(c) They make 'em sexier.
(d) I will NEVER drive a hybrid or electric.

Somehow (d) got like 15% of the responses. Well I once said the same thing about hovercrafts in a Captivate 1984 poll and who is laughing now? Big hovercraft, that's who.

OhTheJoys said...

I grew up in Chicago (Palatine) - even went on a date one night when it was 80 below (with the wind chill) - saw some random Matt Dillon movie.

anyway, now that I live in the South? I think I am going to DIE!! DIE!! DIE!! DIE!! If I go near Chicago in the winter.

tubesy said...

One of my friends who went to college out here warned me before the move that sometimes it got to be 80 below. I'm pretty sure I laughed and laughed at the time. I was wrong.

At this point going out in the negative degrees is still an interesting novelty to me because it feels so weird. I'm sure there will be much whining in the future (mine).